From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2015 23:06:19 +0100
Matthew

Having read the answers to date, they are quite correct as guidelines.
However, DX can be found on any part of any segment of the band, usually
with modes in the dedicated portions by the ITU.
However, on top band, it is frowned on to use the dedicated section by
amateurs.

You also raise a point as to the definition of DX.
This used strictly to mean long distance.
However, in our times it has come to mean rare entities.  There are some
entities which aren't often activated, the most wanted being the Democratic
People's Republic of Korea.  One which was mentioned on this list a few
weeks ago was K1N (Navassa Island) which is also rarely activated .
For me, I am still after GD (Isle of Man) on 21 mHz.  although this is only
400 miles away from my QTH, I still need it on fifteen metres, so to me it
is DX!

73

David W Wood