From:
Dave Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 2015 06:32:04 +1200
Hi Phil!

I have one of these new fangled imaging centres that would be even more
useful to us with a tad more accessibility. I mean, you know the sighted are
always accommodated first, so you do what you want by reading menues
displayed on a small two inch screen. To be exact, the device is a Brother
MFCJ470W. Anyway, I have connected with a friend in the states that I've
been working with on some projects, and she has been able to read the screen
on this printer/scanner/whatchamacallit through my Iphone camera well enough
for us to organise some scanning jobs. It's been interesting to see what is
possible this way, but she is a trained professional in the blindness field,
so she knows what she's looking at from her experience with similar
machines, and really isn't depending on me to show her the screen, etc.The
job likely would take longer if I had to rely on some anonamous good will
such as be my eyes.

As for Skype, in addition to the heful help already mentioned, I'm still
finding this other solution helpful that isn't related to any screen reader
directly, but can work with any of them found at
http://skypetalking.googlecode.com if memory serves.

There was a time when supporting Skype was a popular access effort through
Microsoft's SkypeKit, but just as God does giveth, he also taketh away when
he pleases, which haulted development on several projects if not devices.
Turning that off single handedly brought more to reduce accessibility to
Skype than anything. Heck, before SkypeKit was shut down, I was using Skype
with video quite successfully with the ID mate quest. Now I'm thinking that
I might just sell that to finance a new rig of some kind. With the
possibilities of remote operation now available, the rig could be in a
location more suitable for my uses than mine, etc. Amazing that when I
started writing this, I wondered how I could make it relate to ham radio,
but looks like I have found a way to do that. Hi hi.

73,
Dave WD8LDY/ZL4LDY