From:
"Dr. Ronald E. Milliman]\\\\`" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2015 08:38:50 -0600
The big thing I noticed about Radio Shack is their lack of product
knowledge. They used to hire a lot of hams and people quite knowledgeable in
electronics. I used to be able to go in and tell them I was looking for a
small, chassis mount, double pole, double throw switch, and they would walk
over and pick out two or three different choices, explain the pros and cons
of each one, and you would make your choice based on your needs. In recent
years, they are not likely to even have a double pole, double throw switch,
and if they did, the store clerk would have absolutely no idea what you were
asking about. You had to have someone with you that could see to help you
look for it yourself. A few years ago I went in to purchase a really small,
table top TV set, which they had advertised. When I got to the store, the
clerk had no idea such a TV set was being promoted; then, when my wife and I
found the one in the store advertised as on special sale, the clerk couldn't
tell us anything about it. He picked up the tag and read information off the
tag, but when I told him we had already read the tag, but I needed to know
some information that was not on the tag, like what kind and how many
batteries did it take, did it come with an AC adapter, etc. These were very
simple questions, but the clerk couldn't answer any of them. It irritated me
so much that I left the store without purchasing the TV, and we ended up
going to Best Buys and purchasing one. It wasn't on sale, but the floor
sales person knew all about the products he was selling, and what he didn't
know, he made the effort to find out for us.

Ron, K8HSY