From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2015 21:55:00 -0400
Hi Group,

Well, once upon a time, I was a real scanner aficionado.  I had the
original Bear Cat BCH.  It had 8 crystal capability, a scan manual
switch, a step switch while in manual mode and that's about it. There
was no delay either overall or per channel.  The manual also said that
you could not put crystals in the radio that were more than 10 MHz
apart; otherwise, the radio would not function properly.

I played around with both the Bearcat 101 and the Regency referred to
with the combs and frankly, I didn't like either of them.  In the area
where I lived, there is a lot of stray RF.  I thought that neither of
those models had a good front end.  There was a lot of inter
modulation.  Local FM stations combining with strong mobile phone
signals were one primary culprit.

I also had the Tunnelac II.  It was a programmable radio with 2 number
keys: a one and a zero.  You received a book with the proper binary
codes for all the frequencies.  Like the BC 101 and Regency, you could
get it to go between listed frequencies and to a degree it would go out
of the advertised band and frequency ranges.  AIt was supposed to cover
30-50 MHz, 118-174 MHz, and 420-512 MHz.  But you could get it to accept
frequencies between those ranges.  It didn't receive overly well on some
frequencies far from the authorized ranges, but it did receive something.

Again with this Tunnelac, I found the front end poor.  It wasn't until
the Bearcat 210 (no xl) which was a 10 channel programmable radio with
direct keypad entry that I felt the micro processing got to the point
where the front end of such units became acceptable--at least in my area.

That's my early scanning story.

On 4/13/2015 8:49 PM, Jim Gammon wrote:
> John, a ham friend of mine had one of those bearcat scanners and
> as I remember, they ran very warm temperature wise and also had a
> lot of synthesizer noise.  The Regency model ran much cooler and
> as I recall, didn't have nearly as much background noise on
> signals.  Jim WA6EKS

---