From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 2015 09:36:52 -0230
Hi all:

As modern rigs have problems keying an older amplifier, like a Heathkit SB-220, Drake L-4 etc,
with out the employment of a buffer box, can the opposite apply?
Can a vintage transceiver, which most likely has much higher voltage to key the older amps, put to much voltage into a modern amp's relay?
Can damage occur to the transceiver if to much voltage is being used?
I have a very sticky relay in my AL-811H and when it sticks, the RX drops way down on the 102.
The only way to restore the RX is to: 1, tap the amp on the cabinet where the relay board is,
2, switch the amp into standby and back into operate or tap the PTT on my desk mic or foot switch.
I'm also concerned about over driving that may have caused some damage.
My rig's SSB output uses the mic gain control to very the output.
So even though I use CW to tune up things, switching to SSB probably changes everything as the rig uses the mic gain to control the output on SSB.
My mic gain's position is about 9 o'clock and either barefoot or using the amp, I don't change it.
So its possible I'm over driving the amp on times. What kind of damage can occur?
On another note with the 102 it self:
I'm still blowing a fuse every 3 months or so, about a total of 24 hours of actual operating and I'm told that its my tubes.
However, I don't see how as I'm still getting full output from the tubes.
If the tubes are indeed bad or on there way out, shouldn't I have reduced output, getting lower and lower?
Or when a tube goes, it goes at once from full output to half power etc?

73:
Mike DE VO1AX