From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2015 08:16:13 -0600
I was unable to respond at the time as I was in Australia and able to
receive, but not send emails.
it looks like I'm a day late and a buck short lol.
That said, I have a full sized Carolina windom up here.  It is the model
with the coax that hangs down vertically which adds a vertical aspect to the
radiation patern as well as adds some amount of gain to the antenna.  This
is indeed the radio works version, and while the antenna does present
between 2 and 3 to 1 swr on all bands, it seems to work amazingly well for
the configuration it is in.
The 88 foot leg is running east west, then it makes a 90 degree turn and the
44 foot section runs north south.  The vertical portion hangs down a few
feet and then angles and sweeps down to the feedline coax which is located
about half way back along the 44 foot section and about 10 feet from the leg
of the antenna.  So essentially the coax part of the antenna runs paralel
and below the 44 foot section.
The ends of the antenna are at around 15 or 20 feet, while the balun where
the antenna makes the 90 degree turn is at around 30FT.  The antenna works
very well as a DX antenna.  It is also very close to arial power lines, tv
cable feeds and telephone feeders.  It passes within feet of the 3 wire
drops for those services to my house and the house next door.  The noise
level is not extreme and seems comparable to any other wire antenna
installation short of one that is located on land far away from any noise
sources.  For instance, the noise on 10M is usually around S2, same for 15M,
around S3 on 20, and S7 on 40 and 80 which seems to compare to allot of wire
antennas I've used on various other stations at different locations.  It
also works quite nicely on 6M presenting less than 2 to 1 swr and vertually
no noise.
So I'm happy with the results.  I have had no issues with water getting into
either the balun or the coaxial choke at the feed point.  I didn't do
anything special to seal those units up either, just used vulkanizing rubber
tape to wrap all coax connecters.
It's too bad some of you have had problems with quality on these antennas.
A windom, or carolina windom tends to be a very popular antenna because it
is multi-banded, actually presents some gain on bands like 20 and 10M, is
broad banded and typically exhibits a reasonable swr when set up correctly.
They do recommend it be set up in a straight flat top configuration  at a
height of at least 20 meters, or 60 feet with the vertical radiator hanging
straight down away from any metal objects like polls or towers.  However, it
seems to perform quite well even in a terrible configuration like
mine...certainly as good or slightly better than a mono band dipole at the
same height and in the same configuration.  The only nulls I have are
towards Japan because it is right off the tip of the long leg of the
antenna, and a little bit to the north and slightly east, but not towards
europe thankfully.

73
Colin, V A6BKX