From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2015 08:31:37 -0000
Jim

There has been a lot of talk about this on another discussion list on which
there are experienced and eminent DX-ers, particularly in relation to K1N
where the splits were ridiculous.

the two points which come up are operator experience and the rig being used.
The latter has been discarded as, for example, G3TXF uses a K3, and did so
on his ZD9XF single-operator trip.  The reason for mentioning this rig being
that many have reported the "MUSH" issue with the filtering.

The other point is that the operators aren't very experienced with pile-up
situations and use a large split in order to make it easier for them to
resolve a station to work.
The DX code of conduct was originally written as a guide to calling
stations, but has become equally accepted as a guide for the DX station.

Pan adapters have become more used, hence it is much easier to find the
station's last listening frequency, hence an increasing number of people
find it more easily, thus making it more difficult for the DX station to
resolve a callsign.

Yesterday, I worked my friend Nick, G3RWF, on three bands as 5Z4LS, and was
impressed with his skill, every few contacts saying up 1.

73

David W Wood