From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 12:53:48 -0500
Matt,

I don't think there is a one size fits all  answer to this.     John
uses MixW, but I never could get it to work for me.  On the other hand,
I use MMTTY for RTTY, but  I don't think John (and others) have had
success with that one.

Check the online archives for this list and see how many times this
subject comes up.  Your head will explode.

You might want to check this site:

www.hamradioandvision.com

There are a few articles about using digital modes by the blind.

In a nutshell, you will need software (most of which is free), and an
interface to go between  radio and computer.  If you use a screen
reader, 2 sound cards are better so the screen reader voice doesn't go
out over the air, although there are ways around that if need be.  Some
interfaces have a sound card  and some radios, like the TS-590 do as well.

Digital stuff can be fun, but be prepared for  some hair pulling and
some work arounds.  If you are lucky, everything will work just fine.
Otherwise, a little tweaking and head scratching, and you will get it going.

The Signal Link USB John mentioned  can be had from cheapham.com for $90
including the cable needed for your radio.    I also have one here and
it is a nice unit with internal sound card and front panel controls.

Good luck with the upgrade, Steve KW3A