From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:47:04 -0330
Hi Howard:

This is what my remote station consisted of:
Out in my shack about 45 miles from my apartment,
I had my Yaesu FT-450 connected to 1 of the Remote Rig boxes, they come in a set of2.
The 450's speaker jack,  the key jack, the serial port of the radio, the LAN connection and then the mic jack which is an  RJ-45 socket.
The FT-450's mic is also an RJ-45.
Next, I had another box in my apartment with my Laptop connected via serial port, my MD-108 deskmic,
my paddles, LAN connection and an external speaker with a volume control.
There's a speed knob on the client box (Control RRC) and you set up a static IP address service, configure both boxes on your respective networks, including the CW jitter rates, audio settings etc.
I used the external speaker with volume control just to save me the hassle of going into the web page interface of the client box to adjust volume all the time.
There was no RFI and CW was quite seamless, you setup your rig to use a straight key or bug and turn the rig's side tone down so you wouldn't get a double tone.
The laptop was running HRD and it saw and treated the connected box as if it was directly connected to the 450.
I powered on and off the 450 with a 3RD party utility called wakeup FT. Having it to do over though, I'd consider either an IC-706,
K-3 or the TS-480.
This is because with the 706 and 480, you can connect the front panels directly to the remote rig and just operate.
With the Elecraft, you can use either 2 K-3s or by the K-mini which is just a control head.
Again you can just control the radio out in your shack with those separation kits as if your in front of the actual radios.
You can also do a Yaesu twins setup, have 2 450's, 950's etc.
You use a dummy load on the controlling Yaesu, you will still have to connect your paddles to the remote rig though and now you can even do digital and go wireless.

HTH and 73:
Mike DE VO1AX