From:
Dave Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2015 09:54:31 +1200
Hi Colin!

All organisations have the problem of keeping interest up. Blame technology
if you want, but numbers are still what counts. If you have that, all well.
If you don't, you're sunk. Subscriptions or dues can fuel the treasury, but
if there's work to be done, you have to find people to do it.

People now don't much want to be leddd, but we need to now solve that
problem too, which we didn't have 30 years ago because orgainisations then
provided that ooutlet.

My wife says today's students don't have self advocacy skills and aren't
incouraged to develop them, and that's why you have loads of new adults that
will answer all questions with yep, nope, I donno. Hi hi.

I don't mean this sound like I'm saying it's a lost cause because it isn't
at all. How do you make people curious? I don't think I know, but I know
it's part of what we have to try to do. I don't mean the kind of curiosity
that says you can look up anything with Google, but really put some thought
into the learning process.

Ham radio to me is better than any other hobby to have because it is so
diverse in comparison to most others. You couldn't interest me in a sports
club if you paid me, but ham radio, which has introduced me to more diverse
populations than I can count is unmatched. You wouldn't expect a lawyer to
know much about antennas, but some lawyer hams that I've known are as good
at it as engineers that do monkey work full time. Sometimes there's a direct
connection, such as wading through local ordinances to ptermit that tower,
but sometimes there's no connection at all. You're just on the other end of
the invisible string letting the lawyer know their latest antenna project
worked out well with a signal report you can give.

If you have a club net, make special sections of the net session call for
specific areas of interest. Our club net makes a call for people to suggest
new books people might want to seek out. They make a call for information
abolut contests. They make a call for people interested in DX information.
These diversities offer different portions of the membership a chance to
participate.

I miss many nets because they occur during my horrizontle time, but I enjoy
the ones I get to when I can also.

The trivia question is a fun activity in the Handiham net on Wednesdays. The
rule is on the honour system or should be. I never try to look up the answer
even though some questions make looking up the answer easy. Fun to see how
much I still remember, but just as nice to discover why I learn from
guessing incorrectly.

Good luck with the project.

73,
Dave