Date:
Sun, 24 May 2015 13:16:02 -0400
Nope, not quite, Harvey.

Alan, Airplane mode does what you are supposed to do with cellular phones when on a plane.  It turns off all communications with the outside world--cellular, wireless, bluetooth in one fell swoop.

If you want to preserve battery life and know you don't want to receive calls or text messages, just enable airplane mode.
You can separately turn wireless (wifi) or bluetooth on and off to preserve battery life but leave your cellular connection on for receiving phone calls and text messages.

If you don't have unlimited data, or if you need to download large amounts of data, then you'll want to enable wireless.  Wireless will take priority over cellular for downloading data, updating your IOS or downloading apps.

Steve, K8SP