From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2015 15:18:29 -0230
My folks go out once a week, 6 months of the year, play darts and have a few drinks, yet my ham radio station is a complete waste of money. LOL
They probably spend 200 bucks a month plus their 10 buck a day smoking habit. So I guess over a period of 5 to 10 years, what would be wrong with a 10K  plus antenna system.
I had my Mom help me to frame my ARRL certificate this past weekend and my brother in law made a joke and asked what's it worth, as he was puffing on 1 of his smokes from a 10 buck a day pack. A hundred bucks?
I replied worth as much as his Jeff Gordon sign up in his man cave. LOL Glad I'm no longer a smoker and living in Alberta. LOL
On a more serious note, I do miss my 3 element tribander and all this talk actually got me considering a beam again.
My XYL and I are hoping to get some financing to finish our cottage along with taking care of some consumer debt, I just may spring for a new beam and rotator.
My old tower is still down and serviceable. I could cut away the damaged foot or so and  have my Dad weld or bolt the shortened section together and put that back up.
Its a Delhi MD 42, well 48 if you count the 6 feet of mast, which your supposed to do. LOL
Nice height for a Hex. I like the Steppirs though.
My former club had the 20/6M version but they only got 6 years out of it. I think it cost 3500 by the time they got it up here and on a 60 foot tower.
The rotator was the Yaesu DX-800, which I'd by because of the raised pointer on the control knob and removable glass so you can follow the hand.
Don't think my XYL would let me spring for a Steppir. LOL

Mike DE VO1AX