From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 02:48:41 -0500
No, you have a driver, which is the pre-selector, the other knobb dips the
plate.
has only one tuning control.
Mike has a "pi" network.
Think of it kind of like an antenna tuner inside the radio.
There are a switchable coil and two capacitors, which impact each other on
either side of that final output.

You start the loading at 0, then dip the plate.
Bring up the loading and dip the plate again, until maximum output is
reached then back it off a bit to be nice to your tubes.
At least on the old A.M. rigs, the higher in frequency, the more loading is
needed.  This can change with the resonnent frequency of the coil,
naturally.

For example if you tune 30 meters on a t4x series radio, and you do this
from the 40 meter band position the loading will be high.
If you do it from the 20 meter position, the loading is almost at 0.
I am sure there are guys here who know a lot more and can clarify it all.

Your 830 is designed to demand a much more matched antenna, so only diping
the plate is necessary.
Those old PI networks would match anything, because nobody had antenna
tuners.
You could easily resonate an antenna with a 10/1 SWR.