From:
Kelly Sapergia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 2015 21:04:59 -0600
Hi,

I've been using a Radio Shack HTX-202 handheld for over 17 years now.
Unfortunately, from what I can tell, it's no longer working. Normally, when
you turn it on, you get a high-pitched beep. Now, when it's turned on, it
gives a low-pitched beep, which keeps repeating every few seconds, and no
signal from my local repeater is heard. I tried changing the batteries, but
it didn't help. The keypad's buttons are also virtually unusable now as you
really have to press them hard for them to work.

It's because of these issues that I'm thinking it's time for me to get a new
rig, but I'm not sure which model to go for in terms of accessibility.
I briefly considered going for either a Baofeng or Wouxun radio, both of
which have built-in speech, but the main US distributor, www.wouxun.us/, no
longer carries the Wouxun radios, and I didn't see any Baofeng ones listed
when I last checked.
Another rig I've been hearing about is the Kenwood TH-F6A. However, I'm not
sure where I could buy that radio brand new, rather than second-hand,
assuming it's still being manufactured, or how easy it is to use.

Does anyone know of any other good 2-meter radios?

Thanks.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia, VE5KJS
Show Host and Production Director