From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:06:48 -0500
Mike,

I used to connect my rocket radio to the metal hook on the dial of my rotary
telephone.  For reasons I don't completely understand, that gave me the best
reception anywhere in the house.  Thanks to the phone company for such a
great antenna.

I used my rocket radio so much that the round thing that the slider was
attached to kept breaking.  When it broke, my father would glue it back
together, but the glue made a little bulge in the material so the slider
would stick as it tried to move up and down inside the coil.  This, of
course, led to more breaking and more repairing ... well, you get the
picture.  That rocket radio earned a well-deserved rest when it finally
found its way to the radio graveyard.

Steve