From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:18:02 -0400
Whatever you do, try to get it as high above ground as practicable.  The
9-element beam would be pretty large for the mast and backyard arrangement I
think you have.  If you seriously think there is FM activity in your area
but want to also work the SSB/CW stations, you would only lose theoretically
3 dB by mounting your dipole at a 45-degree angle to the horizontal.
Dipoles don't radiate very much from their ends if mounted horizontally, so
you have to either arrange to rotate the antenna or orient it for best
signal in the direction broadside to it.  I load up my 20-15-10 meter beam
on 6 meters.  It isn't supposed to work on 6, but it kinda does.  When the
bands are suitably open, I have worked as far as California, New Brunswick,
the Canary Islands and Martinique.  But it has taken 6 hours of intermittent
operation to accomplish even that much.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com