From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2014 21:15:01 -0500
Richard,

You are correct, if the radio's internal tuner can't find a match, it will
report S W R in CW.  When a match is found, it will report an "A" in CW to
indicate antenna meaning a match was found.  If the antenna is not matched
to the radio, it is most noticeable in the transmit mode, however, if there
is a major mismatch, the receive would be down a little, but not much.

Hope this helps.

Howard #3, W A 9 Y B W