Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2014 22:42:05 -0400
7bit
From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
    The lists such as that in Wikipedia reflect the prevailing call areas.
But 10 or 20 years ago the FCC decided that if someone moved to a different
district he would not be required to sign "portable something" and could
just keep his existing call.  In 1955 when I got my novice license, you had
to file a form indicating where you planned to operate portable.  So we did
that for a couple of years until the rule was relaxed; city of license was
Lohrville, Iowa, but my portable operation was at the school for the blind
in Vinton, Iowa and FCC had to know all about it.
The upshot of the changes I mentioned at the top of this message is that you
can't always be sure where a station is transmitting from.  Among our group,
I can think of KD8PC, who is in Arizona and not Michigan, and K8HSY, who is
in Kentucky, although his callsign indicates that he is in either Ohio, West
Virginia or Michigan.  Anyway, that decision has been in force for a long
time, and most of the stations you hear are actually in the districts you
think they are in.
I could go off on a tangent and describe how confusing it was for me as a
novice, with the only braille licesnse materials having been produced before
World War II, where the boundaries of several call districts were different
from thos that were assigned in the 1950s.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com
From: Joe Quinn <[log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Date sent: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 18:57:41 -0500
Subject: area

Does anyone  know if there's a chart around  that shows the
numbers of calls=
igns and their associated districts? For example zero is
Minnesota, five is L=
ouisiana and Texas, for his Georgia and so on...  Thanks!=20=