From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:54:02 -0500
Tom,

Something else to consider  is that  everything downstream  from the amp
needs to handle  the extra power if you  increase from your current 600
watts.  Not just the tuner, but also baluns, antennas, switches,coax,
any meters or anything else in line.

You may already be good with all this stuff, but you should think it
through if you go the higher power route.  You had also mentioned some
RFI in the house recently.  Not to say that doubling your power will
double your RFI, but  something else to be prepared fore.

If you went with the 600 watt amp, maybe you could get away with the
MFJ-994 auto tuner.   Maybe half the price of the 998.  Also if I
remember right, the LDG 1000 auto tuner is rated at 1k SSB, but only 750
CW.   It also covers 6 meters at 250 watts.  This would probably be a
good match for the 600 watt amp, giving some more headroom, but  I don't
think it would be a good choice for the 1200  watt amp since the amp far
exceeds the tuners limits.  Of course the LDG doesn't interface to the
radio, but  a couple of button pushes are still easier and faster than
knob twiddling.

73, good luck selling your stuff,
Steve KW3A