From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2014 17:15:21 -0330
Well, Howard:

I could spend 125USD plus exchange and shipping on the capacitor and roller inductor but I'm not sure if the new ones would handle the vertical on 75M for any length of time.
They might for a while of course but I'm nervous of in 6 months they'd fail and I'd be back to square 1 again.
My friends MFJ-986 has a much heavier roller inductor and capacitor. So we're not sure if that's what's now in the Ameritron ATR-30s and originally were in the older MFJ's and MFJ simply moved them to the Ameritron when the bought the company.
My friend bought his 986 back in 1992 from an SK's estate. So I'm not sure I'd get those heavier components. So I'm going to try and get buy until I can afford the Ameritron ATR-30 or Palstar AT-2K.

73:
Mike VO1AX