From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:07:27 -0500
All:

Here's something else from the latest N3FJP announcement I received today
from Scott, N3FJP himself. . It adds to what has been said many times on
this list about the fun you can have with fairly simple low-profile antenna
setups:

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

Great Fun with Low Profile Antennas!

There is no doubt that anyone with a beam antenna can DX circles around the
100 watts and low profile, neighborhood friendly wire antennas that comprise
my peanut whistle station, so please don't read this as a boastful post.  I
just want to take a moment and really encourage anyone with a modest setup,
or the need to erect low profile antennas, that you can have a blast and
work a LOT of DX too!

My friend Dave, N3HCN came up and operated with me for both CQ WW SSB and
Sweepstakes CW.  We set a goal before CQ WW of working 100 unique DXCC
entities by the end of the contest.  After just 14 operating hours we had
more than 500 contacts in the log and 100 unique entities!  During
Sweepstakes CW, we worked every section but NT with 446 Qs.  So, in the
space of about 9 days, we worked WAS (in fact every section but one) and
DXCC running only 100 watts, dipole inverted Vs, 6/10 of a wavelength above
ground and wire loop antennas!

I want to encourage everyone that you can really enjoy contesting and DXing
with 100 watts and a very modest antenna set up, so I've started a section
on the website that details the antennas we are using here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/antennas/index.html

If you aren't satisfied with your station's performance, please take a look
at some of these super easy antenna options.  If you have actual experience
with other antenna designs that meet the criteria detailed on the page above
and would like to share, please let me know!