From:
Mark Torgerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Torgerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2014 00:13:06 -0500
Hi

I am not sure if it works for certain, but for fire ants you might want to
try diatomaceous earth. You can buy the food grade that is so safe you can
eat it by the spoon full. However, it is a fine powder that grinds through
the outer skeleton of ground based insects like ants. Once their exoskeleton
is compromised they dry out and die. One would need to poor the diatomaceous
earth wherever the ants go or perhaps on their ant hill. I have had good
success with this on regular ants. Just don't breathe the fine powder.
diatomaceous earth is non toxic, but it is reportedly not good in the lungs.

Another strategy is to use
beneficial nematodes. These little critters hunt down ground based insects
and attack them. Reportedly they are safe around pets children ETC. A small
jar holds around 6 or 7 million of them.  Just apply them on the affected
parts of your yard and sit back and let them do their work. Smile.

I hope this helps.

God bless,
Mark WZ0K

--
Currently in Rockford, Greater Rockford, Illinois Partly Cloudy,
66.0°F(18.9°C) Wind:NE (040°) at 8mph (7KT)