NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Gary (OR) Karen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 16:44:39 +0000
Dear Dawn - I for one, do need calcium supplements, not only because
of milk & beef allergy, but because of acute osteoporosis. I am also
unable to get much calcium from vegies, as I have colitis, and can
not tolerate any raw, and few cooked, fruits or vegies. Therefore, my
difficulty in finding a calcium supplement which does not cause
palpitations is a very serious problem.
      BTW - thanks to you, and all others who have posted in regard
to this. FYI, I am not hypoglycemic, not diabetic, have no current
cardiac problems, and doubt the palpitations are from stress or
caffeine, either. The ONLY time I get the palpitations is about 1-2
hours following ingestion of most calcium supplements. (including
TUMS) I have had my electrolytes checked recently, and they are fine
too. I do wonder about the milk fillers in some calcium pills... Oh
well - on with the search. Until then, I'll just go on hurting, and
hang on to the walls when I walk. (Have broken several bones
recently)  Thanks again - Karen

>I'm wondering, does everyone on this list who is avoiding
consumption of dairy products take a calcium supplement?  From the
questions on the list this past week, it seems that there is a common
assumption that if we do not drink milk, then we _need_ a calcium
supplement.  I'm wondering if this is true or not.<
 Perhaps, in a likewise fashion, we can get enough
calcium without dairy in our diets and without supplements (btw, many
vitamins/supplements use dairy as a binder, so for me and other
milk-allergic people vitamins can be dangerous).
Well, I would appreciate hearing from others about this issue and their own
experiences with making this decision for themselves.
Thanks,
Dawn