From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2014 06:43:39 -0500
Alan,

I don't have that specific tower from US Tower, however, I have the HDX-572.
Actually my tower was manufactured by Trusteo Tower which was purchased by
US Tower sometime in the mid to late eighties I believe.

The HDX-572 is 72 feet fully extended and is four sections instead of the
five for the TX-489.

When I purchased the tower in 1978 I couldn't afford the electric winch and
went with the manual Fulton.

We have a lot of wind and storms here in central Illinois and if I did it
again, I would purchase the electric winch.  I'm not sure you can buy this
tower with a manual winch any longer, only the electric.

As for cranking it up and down, it isn't really that bad.  Obviously coming
down is easier than going up.  I haven't really timed it but I can probably
go full height in under thirty minutes with a few short one or two minute
breaks.

If it wasn't such a hassle to get all the antennas down, remove and pour a
new foundation, I would consider replacing the tower with the motorized
HDX-572.  I don't even know if there is a company I could hire to do it or
not.

If you have no need to raise or lower more than one or two times a year,
probably not worth it.
 73,

Howard #3, W A 9 Y B W