From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:28:14 -0400
Hi Ron,

I am afraid to say I don't think there's much to listen to unless you
just want to check out propagation.  As you say syndication--a natural
outgrowth of consolidation--has put an end to personality type radio and
a lot of local variety programming.

But to quote Johnny Cash: "But there was a time"--when I used to be the
biggest AM Dx-er.  I used to use a variety of radios from my old pre
wordl war II (a relic from my father's youth) Westinghouse
upright--which was so old that the knobs had broken off and I used to
use (and I kid you not) a metal screw driver to insert into the slots
where the tuning knob used to be all the way to my 1980's Icon R71-A
general coverage receiver which had a great AM broadcast portion.  I
used to tune up and down the dial to hear such stations as KMOX, St.
Louis, 1120
AM, KSL, Salt Lake City, 1160 AM, WOAI, San Antonio Texas, 1200 AM, and
the big catch in the wee hours of the morning KFI, Los Angeles, 640 AM.
I live in the Western New York State area.

As a teenager, I used to call DX stations which were rather significant
toll calls even at late hours such as the Jerry Williams show on WBZ
boston 1030
AM and the Larry Glick show also on WBZ.  The Nightcap program which
could be heard on WWl, New Orleans at 870 and the Larry King show before
it got to Buffalo on a station out of Miami, I believe it was WQAM at
620, but I'm not sure.  In those days, because of the fairness doctrine,
the guests were diverse and real discussion took place--not just the
blow hard mentality of the Premier Radio model adopted by political
hacks of all stripes.

Even during the daytime, when I and my parents were going on a trip of
say 100 miles or so, you could tune around in the 'graveyard' area
between 1230 Am and 1490 AM and hear a bunch of local stations with  all
sorts of diverse programming.  Now-of-days, when you do that, you're
likely to hear 14 or 15 versions of Rush Limbaugh or some 'Music of your
life' type format--all playing the same thing. What a bummer!

Oh for the good old days!  I guess I'm showing my age.

On 9/19/2014 8:18 PM, Ron Miller wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> My tabletop radio (and primary all band, non-ham receiver) is the Eton E1. R=
> eally a big portable, but better suited for use on a tabletop.
>
> I really like the radio, and it performs well on AM broadcast but, what is l=
> eft to listen to during nighttime DX? Almost every station in the US is carr=
> ying syndicated programming, so, I can tune across the band and hear a dozen=
>   "Coast-to-Coast," or "Jim Bohanan."
>
> What's worth tuning in? (Intending no insult to above mentioned shows)
>
> 73
>
> Ron Miller
>
>> On Sep 19, 2014, at 2:33 PM, Jim Gammon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> =20
>> Hello list, am just wondering what kind of table model Am Fm and=20
>> other band radios people use here like the GE super radio.  I=20
>> still have one but the switches get crackly and I have to spray=20
>> them with contact cleaner quite often.  I wonder if there's one=20
>> out there with presets so you can easily go to your favorites?=20
>> Jim WA6EKS

---