From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2014 21:09:51 -0600
and while it came to mean best regards, it was a way of signing or ending
the traffic...a 7 and a 3 in CW are kind of mirrors of each other...so I
suspect the idea was no more than using something that sounded neat and was
easy to send and that would be taken as best regards...as using the phrase
best regards went out of fashion many many years ago in common writing.
The guy who came up with a hold over from the CB erra is wrong on two
counts, firstly that it isn't, and secondly, just because he no longer uses
cb and got his ham ticket, doesn't mean no one still uses the CB band...in
fact, it's very much alive and well in the US...so how could it be a hold
over from something that hasn't gone away?
Obviously the logic hamsters weren't running too quickly in his head when he
came up with that hi hi.

73
Colin, V A6BKX