From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2014 09:50:17 -0600
The IPhone doesn't work on light detection at all.  The switch to speaker
while on a call when using voice over is entirely based on angle or position
of the phone...it also detects touch, so if your face is touching the phone,
and you angle it, it will not go to speaker...but if you take it away from
your head and angle it, the speaker will come on...anoying sometimes, but
easy enough to get used to and you can easily prevent it from going to
speaker by learning how to use the phone correctly.
Unfortunately, you cannot turn this feature off.
It's done, obviously, so that you can access the phones apps, or keypad
while on a call.
When I first started using an IPhone, I thought it was oober sensative as
well, until I figured out why and when it'll switch to speaker...once that
is figured out, you can quite easily prevent it.
There are several zones of angle and position that will turn the speaker on
as well, so remember that when you are experimenting.

73
Colin, V A6BKX