From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:51:57 -0600
I don't mean to be contrary, but the ts-2000 is probably one of the easiest
radios I've ever had to program memories into.
Simply make your frequency selection via the keypad, set your offset with
the zero key if necesary, select your tx tone using the function button and
the 4 key along with the multi-select knob, and hit the memory button once,
select an empty channel with the multi-select knob, and hit the memory
button again...done...far easier than most other radios I find.
Programming split frequencies is also super simple.  You have  VFO a, and
VFO B on the left hand receiver.
Make your frequency selection with the keypad, press VFO B, make your second
frequency selection, go back to VFO A and then hit split.  Then to program,
again, simply hit the memory button, select the channel and hit memory
again.  It really doesn't get much simpler.  No need for complicated or
costly software at all.
On 2M and 70CM bands, it does automatic repeater offset for you to the
standard plus or minus 600K on 2M and plus or minus 5Meg on UHF.
If you have some odd ball offsets, again, simply use the left hand receiver
and use the VFO A and VFO B with split to enter the frequencies into memory.
If no odd offsets are required, just use the right hand sub receiver which
is your VHF/UHF side.
All the material on
www.icanworkthisthing.com
for the ts2000 is very helpful and can get you familiar with the radio very
quickly.
The rig has allot of buttons and functions, but they are all pretty easy to
get aquainted with after a bit of use.
You will find you use the buttons on the right side of the main tuning dial
allot less than the buttons on the left side of the tuning dial.
Also, when in VFO mode on the sub receiver, take care to avoid the sub VFO
control, the knob on the upper right corner of the front pannel...it is very
sensative and can throw you off frequency pretty quickly if your not paying
attention.
This control does not function if you are on the left hand receiver.
It's generally best to run the attenuator off, and preamp on on HF to get
best results.  Same for FM on 2m/70CM.
Also, why you went and got the RT systems software, when the kenwood
software is free and very accessible I don't know.
I used the programming software once, and thought it was a joke since all
the functions were just as easy, in fact, easier to program by hand on the
radio than slogging through a bunch of fields and tabs on a computer.
73
Colin, V A6BKX