From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 12:43:54 -0600
firstly, why the ground rod, or rods?
Secondly, the depth of the ground rod will depend allot on the type of soil
you are dealing with.
6FT is typically the minimum recommended, 8 to 12 is generally better.
Are you thinking of earth ground for lightening, or RF ground for RFI
issues?
Also, I would be hugely surprised, in fact, flabbergasted if your main water
feed to the house was PVC.  But, stranger things have been known to happen.
I don't doubt all internal water piping is plastic, but most of the time,
anything city side of the meter will be metal.
There is also usually a water line access stem somewhere on the property
that can be attached to with use of a large hose clamp.
A general station ground is usually a good thing and you want to plant your
ground rod as close to your operating position as possible to minimize the
length of the wire from your ground bus to the ground rod.
From what I recall, you aren't using any tall masts or towers...but just
determine weather there are any trees or buildings taller than your antennas
and this will give you a better idea if you need a lightening ground system
in place with multiple rods etc.
Personally I have never ever noticed any performance difference between
having a ground rod and not having one.  The station is grounded through
your household electrical system already (unless you are running strictly
battery power)  so it's often redundant and unnecesary to have an additional
ground.
If you have masts or a tower taller than anything surrounding it, and you
are prone to lightening in the area, a couple ground rods around the bottom
of the antenna support structure is never a bad idea to help shunt that
lightening to ground and not to your radio equipment...although, with
lightening, you are dealing with so much voltage that equipment often gets
fried regardless of how good your ground system is.
73
Colin, V A6BKX