From:
Jim Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2014 23:02:59 -0500
Phil, I definitely hear what you're saying.  I remember being appalled back
in the late '80s by some of the folks handling emergency traffic out of
Jamaica.  One guy was just rude to everyone who tried to take his traffic,
and there were a lot of QRMers on the nets.  Another time I was calling CQ
on 10 meters as I recall, and some guy from South America came to my
frequency and rudely told me that he was going to meet some folks to handle
emergency traffic, and that was more important than what I was doing.  It
seems like a lot of the hams involved in emergency or public service work
just think their defecation isn't odiferous if you get my meaning.  It seems
to me though that things really got worse in the '80s.  I hadn't seen too
much bad behavior before then, but the behavior took a dive in the '80s as I
recall.
I must say though that I've had better experiences with small ham clubs as
opposed to large ones.  That's probably because an individual is just a
smaller part of the group.  It also has to do with blindness, and probably
age too.  Back in the '60s, folks were willing to help out a kid, and maybe
they still are to some extent, but I'm not a kid any more, so it's hard to
say there.

Oh yeh, and I had a guy back in the late '80s or early '90s tell me that us
blind guys should put up a repeater so we could be with our own kind.  I'm
afraid though that we bring some of that on ourselves.  I know of too many
cases of blind folks over-depending on sighted assistance.  Also, many blind
folks will go to a gathering, and just sit in one place without trying to
mix with the group, and then wonder why nobody talks to them.  I'm probably
speaking to the choir here, and it's unfortunate, but we do have to put
ourselves out there if we want recognition.
--
Jim, KE5AL