From:
Lori Bloomberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Bloomberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 14:51:33 +0000

Thank you so much for your responses to my posting regarding how to handle a Celiac (GF) child in a public school.  The responses I got were overly helpful.  I am a little surprised that I didn't get more people writing in.  My thought is that each family manages it on their own -without asking for too much assistance from the public schools.
My son is not allowed a snack during the day, and now I know what my options are for requesting one -talking to teacher and 504 plan.
I was sent some great protein enriched food/snacks ideas for what to pack - that will help.
Most families prefer to send their own lunch in fear of the cafeteria not being extra careful.  The families who have a GF option food option have worked it out directly with the cafeteria staff.

A bunch of you spoke about applying for a 504 plan.  Here is some helpful information:
NFCA's websitehttp://www.celiaccentral.org/kids/parents/guides/Kids-Youth/Navigating-The-School-System/209/
504 plan:  Asking for access to a microwave and other specific requests such as bathroom time, trip accommodations, and snack time.
Please let me know if you have any questions or thoughts.  I will definitely look into a 504 for my child since you never know what kind of issues can come up.
Thanks again!
Lori(NYC)

*******
*******