ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:53:04 -0800
I have just finished reading DeadMan Walking a book writen by Helen
Prejean a Catholic nun who became involved with death row prisioners.
It is an excellent book.
She says that many Christians support the death penalty because of the
"eye for an eye" section in the Bible.  I thought that was written to
keep people from taking more than was taken from tem.  If their camel
was stollen, they could not take the whole field of the one who had
taken it.
I wonder how killing someone helps the victim's family?  Does that take
away their anger?  Does the death of the prisoner take away the awfull
feeling of sadness andemptiness?  I think not.  I couldn't be the one
who had to pull the switch, or administer the drugs.
I abhor the violent crimes, and perhaps I'd feel differently if it were
someone I love who had been killed.  I do believe there should be
assistance programs for victims. families, it must be a horrible thing
to have to go through.  A friend told me that the book was made in to a
movie, have any of you seen it?

Rhonda