ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 09:04:16 -0500
Hey, Matt

Your first mistake is listening to anything in movies.  Please don't do
that.  Even in so-called Biblical movies they twist the words around and put
the wrong words in the wrong people's mouth.  So you aren't going to learn
anything but the wrong stuff from them.

Ruth was a widow, but she did really marry Boaz not just to be part of her
husband's family but also because she really loved Boaz and he loved her.  I
just wish the archives from the old list before we switched names were still
up so you could read my commentaries on Ruth.

And I'm afraid to think what would have you looking into learning more about
Tamar.  That's frightening.  Laughing out loud.

Reading and studying the Bible is good but I'd be careful about jumping
around too much and listening to too many interpretations of too many
verses.  It's like going to a buffet dinner and tasting some of everything.
You never know which combinations could make you sick.  Especially if you
start eating off of the plates of other people (listening to too many
interpretations instead of reading it for yourself, in an organized way).

I'd really encourage you to set up a plan of reading the Bible through for
yourself, book by book.  And I wouldn't start in the quote Old Testament
unquote.  I would start with the Gospel of John in the New Testament.
Everything begins and ends with JESUS and the Gospel of John most clearly
explains Who JESUS is and why He came.  Get to know JESUS face to face
through John.  Then I would read Luke, which has a lot of the same stories
of John but without the background information of JESUS being GOD before the
foundation of the world, etc. that you will learn in John. After Luke I
would read the Book of Acts to show what happened immediately after JESUS
went to Heaven.

Jumping around will only confuse you more and exhaust you and may cause
confusion that might mess you up later.  You need a solid foundation to
build on and the three books I suggested, when studied "decently and in
order" as it were, will do that.

Paul