From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:34:58 -0400
Mike,

All I am currently using is  an old Rohn 20 foot mast.  While having the
rotor at the top has it's own problems it allows me to get it up and
down myself.

I have a piece of water pipe with  a I.D. a littel bigger than the O.D.
of the bottom section of the mast. The pipe is several feet down and in
concrete.   The mast drops into the pipe and so the top is not 10 feet
up, but 10 feet minus whatever the pipe is below grade.    I need to
stand on a step ladder to mess with the antenna, but most  of the
pushing up is done with my feet on the ground.

The pipe is maybe 4 feet above ground and I've drilled a hole through it
at the 2 foot level.   When the bottom section  is raised and clears
this hole, I shove a bolt through it and let the mast sit on that, so I
get another 2 feet of height and there is still 2 feet of mast within
the pipe, giving it a good base.

Not very high and some would consider it a joke, but I've worked the
world and had a lot of fun with the previous antenna.

  I may do the same thing next spring with a Rohn 34 foot mast that is
cut down to make it UPS shippable.   About $160 shipped in the States.
  I would have to redo everything since the bottom of that mast is
larger than my current pipe will accept.

A number of folks do  turn mast and all from the bottom,  but again
there are advanteges and disadvantages.     I think K4KIO's site has
some info on using  push up masts for Hex antennas.

73, Steve KW3A