Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2014 23:54:08 -0700
Hi Steve,

   Ok, that pretty much confirms it. He was connecting directly to his
PC serial port with a known good straight cable with no luck. He also
measured the voltages on the pins of the TS-590 and verified that there
is nothing on either the RX or TX pins so it sure looks to be dead.
That's why we were not sure if it was disabled in the menus or just
fried. Looks bad at this point. He will be calling Kenwood tomorrow.

Thanks for the info,
Rob
K6DQ

On 8/7/2014 11:03 PM, Steve Forst wrote:
> Rob,
>
> The serial and USB ports are independent of each other.  You can
> actually run  2 software packages at the same time without conflict.
> Maybe a logger on one and control program on the other.
>
> For the  USB connection to work, you need the Kenwood virtual comm
> driver software, free from:
>
> http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/software_download.html
>

> The serial port should work right out of the box, either with a straight
> through 9 pin serial cable(not a null modem cable), or USB to serial
> adapter.  You also need to set baud rates for the 2 ports in  menus 61
> and 62.  The radio needs to be powered off and turned back on for the
> change to take effect.
>
> It's always possible the serial port is fried, but I would confirm the
> cable is correct and good.  Also not all serial to usb adapters work
> correctly.   Some people have had problems with  a particular chip set
> in the adapters.   I think the Prolific ones may be problematic, but
> that's just from my rusty memory.
>
> 73, Steve KW3A
> On 8/8/2014 1:32 AM, Rob wrote:
>> Thanks Jim,
>>      Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't own one and I was asking for
>> Mike W6QUV. It appears the serial port on his TS-590 is dead. He can't
>> communicate with it no matter what he tries including trying to flash
>> new firmware to it. I just wanted to make sure I didn't over look
>> something in the manual.
>> Thanks,
>> Rob
>> K6DQ
>>
>> On 8/7/2014 8:40 PM, Jim Shaffer wrote:
>>> Rob, I don't know about the USB port, but the serial port is always
>>> enabled as far as I know.  I don't remember seeing anything about
>>> enabling the USB port either, so I suspect it is too.  I suspect
>>> they're in parallel as you suggest.
>>> --
>>> Jim, KE5AL
>>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Rob
>>> A question to you TS-590 owners.
>>>     How do you enable the serial port on the TS-590? I see in the menus
>>> that you can set the baud rate in menu 61, and choose between the USB or
>>> ACC2 connector with menu 63 but I think that is really only for
>>> selecting the audio path. Is there another menu setting to select
>>> between the serial port and the USB connector for computer control? Or
>>> are they effectively in parallel and is automatically selected when it
>>> detects data on one of those ports?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rob