From:
Mike Barnard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:50:40 -0400
This is Mike, KD2CDU, I have a hex beam, and I will try to tell you a
little about it.  Also I was talking to Jounior, and he is interested also.
I have  the (g3txq ),  a ameture in the UK.  It covers
6-10-12-15-17-20 meters.  I helped put it together.  It is in a
circle, and has 6 equal sides.  The wire goes on 5 of the six sides
so you have a triangle with no  wires.  The center post has screw
terminals for the bands, 6 meters on the bottom and 20 meters on the
top.  The coax hooks on the bottom of that post.  As the bands go up
the wires  get wider and go up it is like a six layered circle  in
steps having a bigger circumference as the bands get longer.  It is
about 12 feet round.  There are six spokes and they hook to the
center point and are bent up and have a rope that holds them  in
place also at the center point.  I have been thinking of how else to
describe it's shape, maybe like a funnle with 1/6 gone.
Each wire has theclamps and all on each  place to put the
antenna.  It is like  having 6 lines from small to big around a funnle.
Now to how it works, It first is not that heavy, and each band I have
had no more than 1.5 swr.
Eventually it is going on a tower  about 60 feet up.  Now it is about
20 feet from the ground on two sections of the tower bolted to the
deck.  I have talked to Alaska on 10 Europe and the west coast. It is
directional better on the higher bands, because it is not where it
should be.  It should be about 30 feet up or more.
Where it is it is about an s unit better than my hf antenna, which is
a dx 110 feet all band antenna about 60 feet up.  That antenna is fed
with ladder line, Dx enginering calls it Piano wire. I can't weight
to get the antenna up where it belongs.
I hopes this helps, and if you have any questions, you can call me or
email me, and I will try to answer them.

Mike