From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2014 01:09:15 -0400
Hi Group,

I am wondering about this whole Non 24 business.  Here is my
circumstance.  I was born with partial sight, but by the age of 12, I
lost it all.  I then lost both eyes due to the general deterioration
caused by congenital, sub acute, co angular glaucoma (now there's a
mouthful for you!)  So from age 22, I have absolutely no light
perception.  Add to this, the fact that for most of my productive life,
I have been a night club performer--with the oddest of odd hours.
Usually, in the old days, my day would start at about 1:00 PM at which
time I would arise, clean up, grab a light breakfast/lunch/brunch
(whatever you would call that meal at that hour) and then get ready for
'work,' as a musician/performer in a night club.  This time of
functionality was to say the least flexible and chaotic at the
worst--the worst times out weighing the better times.  Figuring in
travel times, lodging times, disputing with owners/agents/whoever is
trying to stick the big one up you know where, the life style, while
interesting, exciting and quite fun for the most part, was to say the
least a conflagration of chaos--always irregular, and seldom normal.

Having described all of the above, I can honestly say, that I never had
anything remotely approaching the symptoms of this so-called Non 24.
You would think that with my total lack of any vision--even light
perception--and the total Topsy Turfy lifestyle, that I should be a
prime candidate.  In fact, I found out that if I could simply sneak in
about 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep within a 24 hour period, that I
would be fine.  Yet now of days, I am bombarded by pharmaceutical ads
describing this horrific illness plaguing mostly, but not exclusively
blind folks.  I just don't get it.  I am tempted to believe that the
pharmaceutical industry is just finding a new way to hook people on an
expensive medication--which I believe is somewhat related to the same
type of medication used by people suffering from such illnesses as
epilepsy and convulsive disorders.

I know some people swear that this is a real illness and that it has
almost ruined their lives until they got treatment, but for me I guess
it's hard to relate to under the circumstances.  This is just my
unscientific two cents--for what it's worht!