From:
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2014 20:59:12 -0500
A few days ago, I asked all of you if you had any recommendations for a
telescoping mast or a mast I could use for getting my new JetStream JTB1b
dual band, 144/440 vertical up. I carefully investigated all of the
alternatives, including the several emanating from this list, and I finally
decided to simply use 2 sections of galvanized water pipe; one 21 foot
section of 1 1/2 inch pipe, coupled to a second 16 foot section of 1 1/4
inch pipe. This puts the base of my vertical up at 37 feet, several feet
above my metal roof. The water pipe has a wall thickness considerably
thicker than any of the telescoping masts on the market; so, it certainly
isn't going to bent, and I won't need to guy it. I'm attaching the wall
bracket at the roof edge, which is 25 feet up and 4 feet above the coupling
point. The cost of the pipe is more than the cost of the Rohn H50
telescoping mast, but when I factor shipping cost into it, the water pipe
option is actually less because the water pipe is readily available locally.
The closest place I found that sold the Rohn H50 telescoping mast was DX
Engineering, and it was going to cost me $158 to have it shipped to me.

The water pipe's wall thickness is 1/8 inch thick which is .125 compared to
the wall thickness of the Rohn H50 telescoping mast which is .04. Thus, the
water pipe is a little over 3 times the thickness. Of course, the downside
is that the water pipe is heavier, and since I have to couple the two
sections together and then erect it, it is more difficult to erect. It will
probably take one or two fellows on the ground and two guys on the roof with
guide ropes to guide it up into the wall bracket.

I'm slowly getting closer to getting on HF with all of you. I have all of
the materials ordered to put up my full wave 75 meter loop, Dacron rope,
pulleys, coax, fittings, etc. By the time I get everything assembled,
including the team of local hams to help me, it will still be a month or so
before I'm emitting RF on HF.

So, I'm sharing this option with you in case any of you ever face a similar
situation.

Ron, K8HSY
Dr. Ronald E. Milliman
Retired Professor of Marketing
President: A3 Business Solutions (a3businesssolutions.com)
President: M&M Properties
Chair: American Council of the Blind's PR Committee
Chair: American Council of the Blind's MMS Committee
President: South Central Kentucky Council of the Blind (SCKCB.ORG)