Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2014 11:03:58 -0600
7bit
From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
if you are using a crimp on pl259 in a one time connection installation,
that is, you put it on, and it never moves, never wiggles and you don't ever
take it off, they're probably no different than soldered connections.
However, for anything where you are connecting and disconnecting allot, like
with jumpers, or mobile installations, or portible installations, I've seen
too many of the crimp on connectors just come right off...a soldered
connection is mechanically more durable simply because you don't have the
issue of expanding or contracting metal that will allow the connecter to
come off...metal that is welded together will stay together much better than
something crimped will.
That said, for electrical integrity, there is no difference, and you are
right, a crimp on connecter will actually give the electrical connections
more surface area etc than something soldered, at least with a pl259 type
connector.  We use crimp on connecters in all our repeater installations and
they work very well...but again, they are set and forget things.
a bad soldered pl259 is a bad connecter regardless...and a bad crimp on job
is also not going to work very well.
Where I've seen the biggest issues with pl259's coming off the coax is on
LMR400...for some reason they don't like to stay on very well...part of it
is that the center conducter is so thick, that it doesn't allow a very good
solid crimp on the center pin of the connecter.
RG58 stranded is probably the best with crimp ons, and the solid center
conducter rg58 is also very good.

73
Colin, V A6BKX