Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 17 May 2014 18:51:54 -0400
From:
Michael Thurman <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
I agree.  and to be totally honest, I do not understand how some of these people passed their test. Frankly there is a guy here who lives in nearby durham who literally has no clue what bands are vhf  uhf  and hf yet he somehow go this general class license at a handihams radio camp. For the money that they pay to go to those camps, well north of a grand for a week, One wonders how uch “help” they receive come time to take their test. I hold an extra class license and the only help I received besides good study materials was to have someone read my test to me and write down the answers I chose. I just do not understand the complete lack of the most basic knowledge I see in some hams, weather on line or on the air. I think perhaps the tests are not nearly difficult enough. I know we need numbers in our hobby,but numbers at what price? Some of the questions I see and hear around are enough to make me wonder if these people should be allowed around ac outlets let alone on the air as they seem to almost be a danger to themselves and others.  I know I have gone off before and said things that were not appropriate, but there is a difference between going off, and having no clue whatsoever what one is talking about.

To make this more radio relaed and interesting, I had a fun conversation with a guy  locally on 40 meters who builds amplifiers for fun. It made me wonder if someday I might be able to build my own amp. I am certainly going to look into doing it someday.
Michael Thurman