From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:49:49 -0500
Hi Phil,

As to the cause of the corruption, that's hard to guess from a distance.

Could be a virus or other malware.

Hard shutdowns don't help either.

The description about missing ntoskrnl.exe is very misleading.

My first guess is to repair the boot.ini on the XP drive (C:\boot.ini )

From Win 7,  check that the file has the proper description as a boot loader.

Open it in Notepad or similar text editor and correct.

See here  https://neosmart.net/wiki/ntoskrnl-exe-missing-corrupt/

See Microsoft for editing the boot.ini

A proper boot.ini looks like this.

"This is a sample of a default Boot.ini file from a Windows XP Professional computer. "

 [boot loader]

 timeout=30

 [operating systems]

 multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

More examples of boot.ini

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mosaddique/Boot%20INI%20Sample%20files.html

For myself I've used EasyBCD for dual or multiboot, since I multiboot regardless of what was installed first or latest install.

IOW, installing Vista or XP after a Win 7 install. or Linux installs.

A copy of ERDC 5.0 would do the job very nicely if you can still find it.

So would many rescue discs ,such as Hiren's boot CD

Peter E

PS ,I read your follow up