From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2014 20:23:14 -0400
I know this is off topic, but it is important in my view.

Why is it that we sometimes feel steps toward accessibility are going
backward, rather than forward in some areas.

Over the past 4 years or so, my XYL and I have had to replace our washer,
our drier, and our dishwasher.

We looked at all the usual home appliance places, and all of the machines we
found are push-button and menu-driven.

With some creativity and resourcefulness, I have been able to figure out how
to operate these appliances independently by counting button presses,
listening to different beep pitches, etc., but it just seems to me that it
shouldn't be this difficult.

I'm always amazed that organizations like the NFB haven't been able to put
more pressure on manufacturers to make things more accessible, especially in
this day and age when the technology is clearly out there.

And, by this last remark, please know that I'm not casting aspersions at the
NFB.

I suspect that they have tried to have an impact, but apparently without
much success.

One other area that also has always urked me is the lack of attention paid
to providing assistance in labeling medications, both prescription and
over-the-counter, but that's another topic for another day.

Once again, I've taken on these tasks myself, but it just seems like there
should be another way.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ