From:
Michael Thurman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2014 17:24:24 -0500
do not abandon all hope… some people have made very good use of magnetic loop antennas which are 2 to 3 feet apart. I have used one myself that a friend had set up for a jamboree on the air event and was amazed at how well it did and how easy it was to put up and use. tuning it was a bit of a challenge, but with the audible meters that are available, which I did not know autbefore, they become a viable option. Several companies made these loops and associated control boxes to drive their tuning capacitors. The one that I used got you in the ballpark with an auto tune button  then you just tapped the up or down buttons to get the match perfect. At iota I had too much dx, instead of not enough actually., and if you mount one of those loops on eye instead of horizontally you can null out noise with it as well.