From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2014 20:53:34 -0600
Albert,

I don't know anything about IRLP.

If Linux is required, then you should take a look at Vinux.  Vinux is a
distribution of Linux that is optimized for visually impaired users.  It can
be installed without sighted assistance as the instillation is fully
accessible and talks you through the install.  All the tweaks are already
done so it is set-up for the visually impaired.

Under Vinux, you can run Firefox, Thunderbird, a Microsoft  Word and Excel
look-alike that can read and create files that can be used by the Genuine
Microsoft products.  There is even a rich featured Braille translation
program available for Vinux.  You can add other voices to the built-in
screen reader, however, these would have to be purchased if you want better
speech.  Linux is also good at supporting older hardware if you have older
computers.  I forgot to mention that it supports some of the older hardware
speech synthesizers as well as your newer USB Braille displays.

This Vinux might be a good option for those of us who are still using XP and
don't Want to support Microsoft and especially Windows 8 which may not work
on older computers.

The best part, it is all free except optional voices.

I have not tried it, however, I am considering taking a look at it.

I believe you can run Windows in a virtual machine while in Linux. in case
you still need Windows.

Howard #3