From:
"Jim Kutsch, KY2D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2014 16:24:39 -0500
Albert and all,
I second Buddy's comments. I had an IRLP node running here for several years
then I took it down and put up AllStar Link. No, that's not DStar. AllStar
is another RoIP (radio over IP) technology. The big advantage, as Buddy
said, is that's it's both open source, you get all the source, and you can
connect to other networks if you wish. For example, my AllStar node, number
2396, is all accessible via EchoLink as KY2D-R.

To your other question, yes a totally blind person can run/administer either
IRLP or AllStar. However, if you aren't familiar with Linux at all, it's
just a bit easier if a sighted person is available during the initial
install. Otherwise, you have to do a remote install of IRLP or AllStar on
your Linux box. Once the Linux system is up, you can do everything via login
from some other PC that has a screen reader. There are hardware cable sets
available for most radios you may to build into a simplex node but if you
have a repeater, some custom wiring may (or may not) be needed.

73, Jim