From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2014 23:19:31 -0500

This recipe came up on Facebook, and looks really good.  Similar to the flaxmeal/sorghum muffins I make.  I can't have bananas, so I'm glad she offered applesauce as a substitute. I haven't tried this yet.  Looks like it would travel well. Note...the commentary in the recipe came from the site, not me.

5 cups rolled oats (400g)
2 1/2 cups over-ripe mashed banana (For all substitutions, see nutrition link below) measured after mashing (600g)
1 tsp salt
5 stevia packets (or omit and use 5 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice–such as pure maple syrup or agave–instead)
optional: 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
2 2/3 cups water (640g) (If using the liquid-sweetener option, scale water back by 1/3 cup.)
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp oil (45g) (I really like coconut, but veg oil will also work. For lower-fat substitution notes, see nutrition link below.)
2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
optional add-ins: cinnamon, shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, ground flax (or wheat germ...not for us), raisins or other dried fruit, etc.
Preheat oven to 380 F, and line 24-25 cupcake tins. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir very well. In a separate bowl, combine and stir all wet ingredients (including banana). Mix wet into dry, then pour into the cupcake liners and bake 21 minutes. I also like to then broil for 1-2 minutes, but it’s optional. These oatmeal cakes can be eaten right away, or they can be frozen and reheated for an instant breakfast on a busy day.

Substitution Notes:

For the banana: Applesauce will work, but you might want to add a little extra sweetener (and decrease the water according to how much extra liquid sweetener you add).

For the rolled oats: I haven’t tried quick oats, nor have I tried steel-cut in this recipe. So I have no idea how either would work.
For the oil: I haven’t tried subbing more banana for the oil. I am sure you can do it, and it will be fine texture-wise. No idea about the taste, though.

Protein Powder? Perhaps you could add some protein powder to these (or replace some of the oats with protein powder). If anyone tries before me, I’d love to hear the results.

From a facebook post, credit given to ChocolateCoveredKatie.com