From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2014 23:25:12 -0500
This is normal behavior for most modern receivers.  The S-meter is reading
the AGC voltage, which will be a known function of the signal strength.  So
when you want to tell someone their signal strength, you need to have the RF
gain up all the way.  When you back the gain down, which causes the noise
and QRM between words not to be brought to the same volume as the signal,
you are reducing the amplifier gain by artificially applying some AGC
voltage.  The S-mmeter will give a reading that reflects how strong a signal
would need to be in order for AGC to begin automatically changing the gain
again.

S-meter calibration is a whole 'nother subject.  It will depend on which
preamps or attenuators you have switched in, what standard the manufacturer
defines to be S9 (sometimes 50 microvolts), and which definition of an
S-unit they choose to implement.  Some organizations tried to define an
S-unit as a 6 dB change in signal level, but many manufacturers, including
Yaesu, use 3 dB per S unit as their standard.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com