From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2014 19:32:17 -0500
GW didn't want to come right out and say that the insert key layout is
similar to the JAWS layout.  Being rather coy.  I was going to have my wife
run Window-Eyes on her computer this way, but some incompatibilities with
the USB keyboard we are using made this not work well enough.  And as has
already been said, there are quite a few behavioral differences between JAWS
and Window-Eyes, so even though you have the same layout, you may have some
disconcerting results.  One of the things Judy doesn't like with the
standard desktop Window-Eyes keyboard layout is that the Delete key on the
keypad announces the default key in a dialog box instead of deleting
anything, and the keypad arrow keys move the mouse pointer instead of moving
your I-beam writing cursor as they do in JAWS.  As has also been stated, you
don't get a version of Eloquence with the free version of Window-Eyes; you
pay $39 extra for Eloquence.  The newer Microsoft speech engines are pretty
good, although responsiveness to typing individual letters falls short of
Eloquence, DecTalk or E-Speak.  You can run E-Speak if you are willing to
have Window-Eyes sound like a Braille 'n Speak.  Having said all these
things, I think it is good that people will have a way to get a fully
customizable screen reader with good braille display support for a low cost.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com