Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 14:08:38 -0700
7bit
Sender:
From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
I frankly don't care how much power a station is running as long as they
have a clean signal and they aren't 6 KHz wide or splattering further.  The
problem is, of course, the higher the power, the greater the chances of
disturbing your neighbor's radio, TV, and a whole bunch of other related
electronic devices.  I ran 700 watts output for years until a friend called
me who wanted to cell his SB220 amplifier.  I had been running an old Heath
Kit Warrior, 4 811A tubes with a solid state power supply and a few other
small modifications, and getting, as I said, 700 watts output.  I ran this
amp in 3 different homes and never got any complaints.  I know the ham who
built my blind friends SB220 and at the time, he wanted just 300 dollars for
it.  He likely had under 100 hours of use and one tube was brand new.  I got
1200 watts out of it on 20 meters.  One day, a neighbor, two doors down,
called me and asked if I was using my ham radio.  I just had a friends, a
bunch of friends actually, put up a 2 element 40 meter beam you've heard me
mention a hundred times before already.  Anyhow, I asked the neighbor, what
time he was referring to.  The guy as a known drunk, my kids played with his
kids, and he was also a pot head.  I don't mind that, in fact, I voted last
year for marijuana to be made legal in Colorado.  We already had medical
marijuana legalized by a doctor's prescription but this was for personal
consumption but it cannot be smoked any place, not even in your own back
yard, publicly.  That's dumb but I guess they think they have to draw the
line somewhere.  You sure don't want them pot heads taking over the world.
Anyhow, this guy said specifically I was using my radio at 10:30 in the
morning.  I never was on at that time of day because I was baby sitting my
little grandsons who weren't in school at the time so I was off the air from
like 8 in the morning till 5 in the evening and I told him so.  He said he
knew I was causing the interference because there was no one else in the
neighborhood with a tower and antennas.  I explained to him again why I was
never on the air at that time and then I proceeded to ask him just how he
knew it was 10:30 in the morning my radio was screwing up his TV.  He said,
"Because my favorite cartoon comes on right at that time."  God as my
witness and my hand on the Bible, that is what he said.  I called the local
Denver FCC office and asked for two free copies of their TVI and RFI
booklets which tells people how to remove radio interference from their TV
and other electronic home devices because the guy at the FCC office said
they don't have time to come out and check a ham's station any more due to
the lack of man power and fewer employees.  He said the booklets were
especially written in layman's terms because it explained it was the
neighbor's problem to fix and not the FCC licenced amateur radio operator's.
I gave the guy one copy and kept the other in my drawer just in case someone
else complained.  I never got any other complaints.  I'd personally run 5K
input, or output for that matter, if it weren't for the problems it causes
with neighbors.  I can remember when 1K input was the legal limit. or about
600 watts output.

Phil.
K0NX