From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2013 08:18:02 -0400
Kevin:

I think what you describe here is part of the reason a lot of us continue to
be involved in amateur radio.

Sure the internet and smart phones are amazing, and have their uses and
benefits.

But, I think what sustains us is the ability to do what we do, using the
knowledge we have, with our own personally-designed station set-ups.  There
simply is a real sense of accomplishment in that.

I think this, too, is why ham radio will always continue.  It works when all
else fails, and allows us to have fun with a great hobby and serve society
as well.

It always amazes me, for example, how so many people say that CW is a lost
art that is going by the way-side.  All you have to do to dampen that
argument is go on the bottom of the HF bands on many contest week-ends, and
you'll hear more CW crammed into the CW portions of the bands than you ever
thought possible.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ